Dr. George E. Barner, well-known local chiropractor, died suddenly following a stroke yesterday afternoon at City Hospital.
He was born September 9, 1899, at Weedsport, NY and came to Meadville as a boy. His preliminary education was received at Meadville and Summerhill Townships schools. Later he attended Universal Chiropractor College, Pittsburgh, and Pennsylvania College of Naturopathy, where he was graduated in 1924.
He practiced first at Canonsburg, then moved to Cochranton in 1927. After a short time there, he moved to Meadville, where he opened an office at 311 Walnut Street.
Dr. Barner was active in lodge and service club affairs. He was chairman of the state Exchange Club's Junior Republic committee and was scheduled to speak last night at a meeting of the local Exchange Club.
He was a member of Lodge 408 F an AM; Erie Valley Scottish Rite Bodies; Zem Zem Temple of the shrine; Crawford County Shrine Club, of which he was a past president; past exalted ruler of Meadville Lodge 219, BOP Elks, where he was a life member; life member of Meadville Lodge 99, Loo Moose; president for several years of Dick Hose Company; director of the state board of Drugless Therapy, and a member of Stone Methodist Church.
He is survived by his widow, Reva Wykoff Barner; a half brother, William E. Barner of Martinsburg, WV; a step-sister, Mrs. Florence Walters of Littles Corners; a step-brother, Harley Pierce of AZ; a cousin, Edward J. Ferguson of Meadville; and several nieces and nephews.
Interment was in Greendale Cemetery.
To send flowers to the family or plant a tree in memory of Dr. George E. Barner, please visit our floral store.