What does that mean?
As funeral directors, our calling imposes upon us special responsibilities to those we serve and to the public at large. An important obligation is to provide people with the information they need to make knowledgeable decisions about funerals and funeral directors.
Waid Funeral Home is proud to be a member of Selected Independent Funeral Homes (SIFH), an international association of independent funeral directors who have met and continue to maintain exacting standards of funeral service. Membership in SIFH is by invitation only, and is extended only after a thorough evaluation of character, service, performance and facilities. In acceptance of our responsibilities, and as a condition of our membership in Selected Independent Funeral Homes, we affirm the following standards of good funeral practice and hereby pledge:
We pledge to conduct ourselves in every way and at all times in such manner as to deserve the public trust, and to place a copy of SIFH's Code of Good Funeral Practice in the possession of a representative of all parties with whom we arrange funerals.
- To provide the public with information about funerals, including prices, and about the functions, services and responsibilities of funeral directors.
- To afford a continuing opportunity to all persons to discuss or arrange funerals in advance.
- To make funerals available in as wide a range of price categories as necessary to meet the needs of all segments of the community, and affirmatively to extend to everyone the right of inspecting and freely considering all of them.
- To quote conspicuously in writing the charges for every funeral offered and to identify clearly the services, facilities, equipment and merchandise included in such quotations.
- To furnish each family, at the time funeral arrangements are made, a written memorandum of charges and to make no additional charges without the approval of the purchaser.
- To make no representation, written or oral, which may be false or misleading, and to apply a standard of honesty in all dealings.
- To respect all faiths, creeds and customs and to give full effect to the role of the clergy.
- To maintain a qualified and competent staff, complete facilities and suitable equipment required for comprehensive funeral service.
- To assure those we serve the right of personal choice and decision in making funeral arrangements.
- To be responsive to the needs of the poor, serving them within their means.
- To comply fully with the requirements of the FTC Trade Regulation Rule on funeral practices.
We are honored, and humbled to be the only designated member of SIFH in our community.
In addition to being a member of SIFH, we are a member of the Erie/Crawford County Funeral Directors Association, Pennsylvania Funeral Directors Association and the National Funeral Directors Association.